Afrobarometer is a non-partisan, pan-African research institution conducting public attitude surveys on democracy, governance, the economy and society in 30+ countries repeated on a regular cycle. We are the world’s leading source of high-quality data on what Africans are thinking.
We are the world’s leading research project on issues that affect ordinary African men and women. We collect and publish high-quality, reliable statistical data on Africa which is freely available to the public.
We are proud of what we have achieved so far and our goal is to have Afrobarometer surveys in all African countries.
The Afrobarometer Data Quality Officer (DQO) will provide support to the surveys/data team, contributing in essential ways to ensuring the integrity of Afrobarometer data collection and the high quality of Afrobarometer data and other outputs. The DQO may contribute both during the pre-fieldwork preparation stages, as well as post-fieldwork data cleaning and finalization.
- Responsibilities assigned by the Head of Data Management (HDM) may include: programming of questionnaires and other support to survey preparations; participation in training of field teams; monitoring fieldwork implementation; data set review/cleaning; data weighting; and survey/data documentation. Note that in general, Afrobarometer staff are expected not just to perform their duties independently, but also to focus wherever possible on building capacity among Afrobarometer’s National Partners to perform these tasks independently. The DQO is also considered a part of the Afrobarometer analysis team, and as time permits, may be asked to participate in analysis and publication of findings.
Survey Operations and Network Management
- Assist in questionnaire review and finalization;
- Ensure questionnaires are programmed (currently using SurveyToGo software) in national and local languages;
- Support other survey preparations, including reviewing and programming samples, setting up and testing tablets, and related tasks;
- Conduct real-time monitoring of data capture and uploading of interviews, identify and troubleshoot any problems occurring during fieldwork, alert National Partners and coordinate early interventions to improve data quality
- Produce and/or review necessary data documentation, including Sampling
- Reports, Summaries of Results, Codebooks, and Technical Information Forms;
- Assist HDM in monitoring survey activities and preparing reports as required by the Monitoring and Evaluation team.
Data Management Training and Technical Assistance
- Provide field technical assistance (both in-country and remotely) to fieldworker training workshops and during fieldwork;
- Ensuring that fieldwork training meets Network protocols and standards.
- Ensuring adherence to all Afrobarometer fieldwork protocols.
- Review and finalize data sets, working with National Partners to ensure that all cleaning rules are implemented and data quality standards are met.
- Ensure data set reviews are completed as quickly as possible to facilitate earlier release of results.
- Assist the HDM in weighting country datasets, including confirming sample implementation, collaborating with National Partners to ensure correct final sample and population data is available, and producing weights and integrating them into data sets.
- Ensure maximization of data quality by collaborating with other members of the surveys/fieldwork and surveys/data teams to continuously develop and upgrade appropriate training, programming, fieldwork and data cleaning protocols;
- Contribute to the development, review, and/or finalization of AB phone survey protocols and the phone survey manual that is currently being developed by an AB consultant.
- Assist the HDM with the production of within-round and cross-round merged data sets and documentation.
- Assist the Director of Survey and Project Director in planning dissemination activities with the Communication team, e.g. CP/Communications Coordinator, and assist in reviewing dissemination products.
- As time allows, contribute to the intellectual and analytical output of the project, including participating in the review of bulletins, briefs, presentations and other documents for the release of results.
- Participate in the promotion of awareness and use of AB findings during dissemination and other outreach activities.
- The successful candidate shall be assigned other duties as deemed fit by the Head of Data Management (HDM) and or Director at the Institute for Development Studies (IDS)
Job Specifications (Qualifications/Minimum Requirements)
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, statistics, or information sciences. A Master’s degree is a strong added advantage.
- Minimum of five years of experience in large-scale data collection and management, including fieldwork preparations, training and monitoring, preferably in an African or multinational context.
- Proficiency with data processing and management as well as statistical analysis software packages, preferably SPSS, although familiarity with Stata or other packages is acceptable
- Possess at least an intermediate level of competency in using social statistics, be familiar with data weighting, and demonstrate proficiency in using Excel.
- Minimum of two years of experience with electronic data capture systems; familiarity with SurveyToGo and other survey programming software is an added advantage
- Exhibit demonstrated analytical skills and the capacity to generate well-written activity reports, along with proficiency in conducting basic data analyses.
- Demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multinational environment
- Strong organizational, leadership and people management skills, as well as the ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Teaching/training skills and experience, including introducing beginners to new software and technologies
- A high level of attention to detail is essential
- Proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of French or Portuguese is a major advantage.
- Flexibility and willingness to work during odd hours, including holidays and weekends on a wide range of tasks
Method of Application
Signup to view application details. Signup Now